Twitter has some issues of late that would suggest at least to Bureau 24 that it hasn’t reached the maturity level to be considered an effective marketing avenue. For most people. That isn’t to say that you can use it to your advantage providing you know what you are doing. For this article I decided that it would be good to discuss some of the ways that Twitter can be used by business people and how it should be used to get the most from your efforts.
Step One: You need a lot of Twitter followers
Getting followers is hard for many people because they don’t know the tricks of the trade. Well, its really very easy to get followers. The first thing you need to do is find and use a service that lets you track who you are following and who is following you. While there are many services out there I recommend Brandchirp.
- After getting Brandchirp is you want to follow everyone that follows you. Most people appreciate being followed and will return the favor. Those that don’t are of no practical use to you and you should swiftly unfollow them.
- Use Brandchirp to target people by keywords having to do with the things you Tweet about. For instance, an SEO like me would use terms like SEO, internet marketing, link building and so on. If people are talking about this then they probably have an interest.
- Use Brandchirp to target other peoples followers. You don’t just want a bunch of random people. Instead you want to find users that have both a lot of followers and tweet regularly.
- Tweet regularly but don’t tweet to the point of spamming people. If I see a person tweet so much that they fill up my page I unfollow them.
- Be courteous to people. Being nice can payoff. If someone follows you send them a message thanking them.
Step Two: Good content is a must on Twitter
- The better your content the more people will seek it out. Make your account interesting to people.
- Don’t be afraid to post other people’s content. No one wants to see subscribe to a cable channel filled with commercials. We like entertainment.
- Have real conversations with your followers.
- Retweet cool stuff from your followers.
- Don’t be too self promotional. Again we don’t want commercials we want entertainment.